Simple Romaine Salad
My oldest son never ate salad until the fateful day we drove into his new friend’s driveway. We heard a “clunk” on the roof of our car. It turns out we bumped into a pomegranate hanging from their tree! Andrew’s friend offered him the fruit. When we got home, we opened the pomegranate and voila – the ruby-red gems that made simple greens come to life!
- 1 head of romaine, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil (blood orange is my favorite!)
- 1 tbsp light vinegar (preferably white balsamic or champagne)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Alternatively, put all ingredients in a small jar and shake vigorously.
- Toss the greens lightly with the dressing and top with avocado, fruit and nuts.
Recipe Notes: Feel free to use your imagination with this salad. Any greens, fruit, and nuts you like work well!