Homemade Vanilla Yogurt With Cherries and Almonds
Making my own yogurt seemed a bit of a stretch, even for me! But it is SO much better tasting – and less expensive! – than store-bought. Give it a try – it is hard to go back!
Homemade Vanilla Yogurt with Cherries & Almonds
Time to cook 15 minutes, makes 5 servings
- 1 quart milk, any fat percentage (I use whole milk, but others work fine)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, as a starter
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- a handful pitted, sliced fresh cherries
- 1-2 tbsp. sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 225 degrees for 5 minutes, then turn off.
- Place milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring up to a boil and then right away, turn the heat down. (This step kills the enzymes that would otherwise kill the yogurt culture).
- Monitor the temperature and cool to 115 degrees. Stir in the yogurt and vanilla extract. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and wrap in dish towels to help retain heat. Place it in the oven for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Stir the yogurt and place in a storage container. If it is not as thick as you like, you can transfer it to a mesh strainer, lined with cheesecloth, over a bowl. Strain 30 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Top with cherries and almonds and enjoy!
(Of course, you can use purchased Greek yogurt for this recipe. But I really want you to try to make yogurt yourself!)