Absolutely the easiest, most essential dessert recipe I know. It is so flexible and forgiving.
Time to cook 30 minutes, makes 6 servings
- 3 green apples
- 3 red apples
- 2 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 oz. cold butter, diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and cut the apples. You can slice them or cube them, whatever you like, just be sure the pieces are relatively equal so they cook evenly.
- Toss with lemon juice, sugar and spices. Place into an 8 by 8 square baking dish or divide into individual baking dishes.
- Mix all topping ingredients in a bowl with your hands. This is the only way to get the butter mashed up right. Plus, it’s fun!
- Spread over apples. Bake until you can smell it and the juices are bubbling up with awesome deliciousness (about 25 minutes). Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you like (I do).